We Welcome All People!
We worship every Sunday and also offer a live stream and stored Sanctuary 10:30am worship. As a sacrament, we offer communion on the first Sunday of every month. Blended Sanctuary worship is at 8:15am & 10:30am, and Contemporary Praise Fellowship at 10:30am.
JUMC is a diverse congregation of over 850 strong from Baton Rouge and the surrounding cities. With active children/Youth ministries, adult education, men's & women's groups, fellowship, senior activities, and more..you are welcome to join us. It is our call to pray and visit those in need, serve those less fortunate and celebrate accomplishments. We welcome you with open hearts, open minds and open doors. WE ARE METHODISTS.
The community of JUMC believes in being a faithful Christian witness to others within our community of faith and love, and outside to the community around us and beyond. Christ’s mission, according to Matthew, is to "go and make disciples of all nations." We strive to reach out to our world, as a church, to practice our faith boldly, and to support one another through love…One person at a time.
JUMC has the following core values: We will…
- ACCEPT AND LOVE ALL PEOPLE: We believe that God loves all people and seeks to be in fellowship with them. As God's creatures, we have been given a unique capability to seek God, nurture our spirits, and find a meaning and purpose in this life. All this is a response to a God who loves us. As a church, it is a privilege to come alongside people in this journey and encourage them in the most important pursuit of life. As a church, we practice hospitality to all who enter our doors. "God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord." (1 Corinthians 1:9)
BUILDING COMMUNITY TO BECOME CONNECTIONAL: JUMC provides many avenues for people to connect with one another in meaningful friendships and with other churches within the connectional spirit of Methodism. In a world where people often times feel isolated and alone, the church will offer a variety of groups, classes, and studies to help persons connect with others. "And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another..." (Hebrews 10:24-25)
- BE A PEOPLE OF PRAYER: Prayer is essential in the life of a Christian believer. Corporate and private prayer helps the church and the individual remain connected to God. To pray is to change. The closer we come to the heartbeat of God, the more we desire to see God's will done in our lives and in our church. "The effective prayer of a righteous person can accomplish much," (James 5:16)
- MAKE DISCIPLES THROUGH BIBLE STUDY: The church will fulfill the mission of Jesus by instructing people with the teachings of the Bible. We believe that God's Word is a powerful instrument for life transformation. When people come together to study the Bible, they are encouraged in their faith and their love for Christian service. "All Scripture is inspired by God, and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness, that the person of God may be adequately equipped for every good work." (1 Timothy 3:16-17)
- IMPORTANCE OF WORSHIP: Coming together weekly as a community to worship God and offer our praise is essential to Christian growth. God is worthy of our praise! We gather each week as a faith community to offer ourselves in worship through music, singing, prayer, the Sacraments of Baptism and Communion, and the hearing of the proclaimed Word. The large cross in the Sanctuary reminds us of the primacy of God's grace. "Since we received a Kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us show gratitude, by which we may offer God, an acceptable service with reverence and awe." (Hebrews 12:28)
- PRACTICAL BIBLICAL STEWARDSHIP: Knowing that God has given us all things, our church will strive to teach and practice Biblical stewardship principles. God will bless our church as we strive to keep God first in the care of our world and the sharing of our personal resources. "For if the eagerness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has..." (2 Corinthians 8:12)
- EQUIPPING THE CHURCH FOR MINISTRY: Every person has been gifted by God and the faithful use of those gifts helps strengthen the ministries of the church as it serves in the world. As members, we are to be self-empowered to be God's hands and feet. Spiritual Gifts Inventory
- SERVING OTHERS IN THE COMMUNITY & THE WORLD: Personal salvation leads to involvement in Christian mission in the world. A strong personal faith naturally flows into social action - these two are mutually reinforcing. "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat..." (Matthew 25:35)
You are invited to come and share with us in the journey of following Christ.
Grace and Peace, The People of JUMC
Rev. Michi Head, Senior Pastor Rev. Larry Miller, Associate Pastor